Location: Louisville, Kentucky
David B. Gazak, Ph.D.
Senior Partner at Gazak Brown, P.S.C., Mr. Gazak devotes 100% of his legal practice to defending physicians and other healthcare providers sued in medical malpractice lawsuits. Crossover components involve defending prescribers of medications which are targeted in litigation against manufacturing pharmaceutical companies. He has extensive experience in medical malpractice litigation throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky. This experience includes all aspects of discovery, mediation and trial. He has also defended physicians in Tennessee, Indiana, and South Dakota.
- 100% Medical Malpractice Defense
- Kentucky, 1997
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1997
- U. S District Court Western District of Kentucky, 1997
- St. Xavier High School, Louisville, Kentucky – 1985
- Bellarmine University, Louisville, Kentucky– 1989
- B.A., Chemistry/Philosophy, magna cum laude
- University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, Department of Pharmacology/Toxicology – 1993
- University of Louisville School of Law, Louisville, Kentucky– 1997
- United States Army, ROTC, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky – 1989
- Commissioned Officer, Armor Branch
- United States Army Armor School, Fort Knox, Kentucky – 1991
- Effects of Uracil and 2, 3-Dihydroxypyridine on Hepatic Uridine Elimination. The Pharmacologist, Vol. 35, No.3 Abstract #251, 1993
- Kinetics of Uridine Elimination by the Isolated Perfused Rat Liver, The Pharmacologist, Vol. 35, No.3 Abstract #252, 1993
- Pharmacologic Modulation of Hepatic Pyrimidine Metabolism, Doctoral Dissertation, University of Louisville Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Louisville, Kentucky, December, 1993
- Martindale- Hubbell Rating: A/V – Top rating obtainable
- Member: ABOTA-American Board of Trial Advocates – National, Invitational Trial Lawyer Organization
- BEST Lawyer in America: 2009-Present
- Super Lawyers of America: 2009- Present
- Amoco Oil Co. Toxicology Scholarship, 1990-1993
- Distinguished Military Student, 1988, 1989
- Guaranteed Reserve Forces Scholarship, United States Army, 1987-1989
- Norton Healthcare, Inc.
- Community Medical Associates, Inc.:
- Practice groups and employed physicians in numerous specialties, exemplified by:
Maternal Fetal Medicine, OBGYN, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Colorectal Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Cardiology.
- Norton Children’s Medical Group, LLC
- The Medical Protective Company
- State Volunteer Mutual Insurance Company
- ProNational/ProAssurance Insurance Company
- Western Litigation / Gallagher Bassett Specialty
- Hudson Insurance Company
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kentucky Bar Association, 1997- Present
- Louisville Bar Association, 2015- Present
- Presenter: Myths vs. Truths: Examining Placental Pathology Challenges in Pregnancy Outcomes and Birth Injury Litigation, American Conference Institute, November 2021.
- Introduction to Legal Nurse Consulting, Bellarmine University, 2003-2004
- Risk Management Seminar Speaker, The Medical Protective Company, Proassurance Insurance Company
- Gazak Brown, P.S.C., Founding and Managing Partner, 2016
- Darby Gazak, P.S.C., Founding Partner, 1998-2016
- Jacobson, Maynard, Tuschman and Kalur, Independent Research Contractor, 1994-1997
- 223 Military Police Co., Kentucky Army National Guard, 1987-1989
- Captain, U.S. Army Reserves, Commissioned Officer, Armor 100th Division USAR, Ft. Knox, Kentucky, 1989-1997
EXEMPLARY, FIRST CHAIR COUNSEL, DEFENSE JURY VERDICTS AT TRIAL:
- Nerve injury from pedicle screw misplacement.
- Nerve damage from PLIF pedicle fusion surgery.
- Intraoperative death during elective colorectal surgery.
- Maternal postpartum death from ruptured appendiceal abscess.
- Brachial plexus palsy following shoulder dystocia.
- Cardiac injury following Niaspan overdose.
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome following Lamictal overdose.
- Death following delayed diagnosis of Pancoast tumor.
- Vision loss following delayed diagnosed of temporal arteritis.
- Death following delayed diagnosis of viral myocarditis.
- Death following delayed diagnosis of aortic dissection.
- Death following delayed diagnosis of pulmonary embolism.
- Delayed diagnosis of appendicitis.
- Post- operative death following uvulopalatopharyngoplasty.
- Injury following delayed diagnosis of colon cancer.
- Traumatic injury following laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication in Jehovah’s Witness patient.
- Permanent ulnar nerve injury following epicondylectomy.
Permanent CNS injury following delayed diagnosis of stellate ganglion tumor.
- Ureteral transection and necrosis during hysterectomy.
EXEMPLARY COMPLEX MEDICAL DEFENSES:
Extensive experience in cases involving brain damaged newborns and in utero fetal demise:
- OB/GYN and maternal fetal medicine
- Fetal heart monitoring
- Placental pathology
- Pediatric neurology
- Pediatric neuroradiology
- Pediatric neurosurgery
Extensive experience and strong medical causation defenses utilizing specialties in:
- Infectious disease
- Pediatric neuroradiology
Extensive experience in cases involving:
- Cardiology/cardiothoracic surgery
- Mass tort litigation, bellwether trials
- Multidistrict litigation
- Litigation involving pharmaceutical corporations as Co-Defendant
- Death from Fentanyl transdermal patch
- Suicide from Cymbalta
- Cancer from the immunomodulation Protopic
- Stroke from postpartum lactation suppressant, Parodel
Extensive experience in complex medical and scientific diagnoses involving all medical specialties:
- Hypercoagulation disorders
- Inborn errors of metabolism
- Endocrinologic disorders
- Oncologic disorders
- Connective tissue disorders
- Neurologic disorders